Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Giver

For my book review, I chose a book I’d long since heard about, but never got the chance to actually pick up. The Giver by Lois Lowry has been a favourite of many of my friends for quite some time. I’d heard bits and pieces of the plot, and decided it’d be a book I’d like. Boy was I right. I finished the book in three hours, and read it twice more during the vacation. I would definitely say that it’s ranked in my top two favourite books, second only to Harry Potter of course.

In a society completely void of individuality, people’s lives are chosen for them. From the parents they will have, to when their wardrobe and recreation activities are changed, whom they’ll marry, and what their careers will be. Jonas is one of these mundane kids, living his mundane. He does not know happiness, he does not know sadness. He knows the words, but not the real meanings. Never would Jonas think he was special, or different than anyone else. He never had been before. But when his name is skipped at the The Ceremony of the Twelves, the most important ceremony there is, his life is flipped upside down.

His world changing rapidly, with new rules and new people, Jonas embarks on a journey of self-discovery, and a discovery of what the world really is. What he will find is up to you to find out.

3 comments:

Mrs. Silveira said...

Cara,

Can you describe some specific parts you liked?

Dominic said...

The giver was a great book with a killer ending. I read it back in eight grade as part of a class assignment. I couldn't stand how the class was required to read to over a few weeks when the writing style permits the much more brief finishing (I actually finished it in class the day she passed it out, just shows ho much I liked it)I almost put this on ,my list of favorite books, but it seems that I couldn't get past the shortness of the book. I ended up using the book in an essay to which I could give the entire credit to for getting me into AP English. (Just the same as I could give my eighth grade math teacher the blame for keeping me out of an advanced class this years despite math being statistically my best subject..)I liked the ending of the book because it was so open to speculation, but I won't go into any details about it so as to prevent spoiling anything for someone else.

Kayla said...

I'm glad you liked the book and finally got a chance to read it! I read it in eigth grade as well for my english class.